Licence Requirements

CBT is Compulsory Basic Training which must be completed before a learner moped or motorcycle rider is allowed to ride unaccompanied on the road with L-plates. CBT was introduced in 1990 to help reduce the accident rate among inexperienced motorcyclists.
You will need to complete a CBT if you want to ride a motorcycle, or if you want to ride a moped (engine not over 50cc with maximum design speed not exceeding approx 31mph, (If you obtained your car licence before 1 February, 2001 you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped.)

Theory and Hazard Perception
You will need to take a theory test if you want a licence for a new category of vehicle, for example, if you have a car licence and you want a motorcycle licence you will need to take a theory test. This is the only part of your training that you arrange directly and can be done via

Practical Training and Test
At your CBT the instructor will advise the number of training days you should undertake in order to be prepared and trained to pass the practical test first time. Your trained days can be arranged at your convenience not necessarily consecutive days. Your test will be on the final day of your course and will include training time prior to test.

Standard motorcycle licence
This is obtained if the practical test is taken on a motorcycle of over 120 cc but not more than 125 cc and capable of at least 100 km/h (62 miles per hour (mph)
After passing the standard motorcycle practical test you will be restricted for two years to riding a motorcycle of up to 25 kW (33 bhp) and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. After the two year restriction period you can ride a motorcycle of any size.

Direct access scheme (DAS)
Direct access is a scheme which allows a person over the age of 21 to avoid the two year/25 kW restriction by taking a test on a machine of at least 35 kW (46.6 bhp). A pass allows you to ride any size of bike. Any instruction given on a machine that exceeds the normal learner motorcycle specification must be supervised at all times by a certified motorcycle instructor.

C.B.T Training Schools

Please check your local yellow pages under Motorcycle training for specialist advice in your area